Eggplant Skillet Dinner
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded process cheese (Velveeta)
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a skillet, brown beef with onion; drain. Sprinkle flour over beef; stir to mix. Add next five ingredients; mix well.
- Season eggplant with salt and pepper; arrange slices over meat mixture. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until eggplant is tender. Sprinkle with shredded cheese; cook until cheese melts. Serve with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 323 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 973mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 28g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 11, 2009
My husband loved this recipe. I made it at the lake in my electric skillet. I used my own garden fresh tomatoes in place of the tomato sauce. I simply diced them up to equal about the same amount. I included the juice from the diced tomatoes as well. I also added two cloves of minced garlic, once I added garlic powder instead. I have used both sliced mozzarella cheese and shredded mozzarella cheese either one works well. I shared some with a neighboring camper, and they loved it, asking for the recipe. The fresh tomatoes and garlic really add to the dish. I think you could use canned diced tomatoes as well. A dish we will use over and over to use up garden fresh eggplant and tomatoes.
Nov 12, 2008
not too bad! i used mozz cheese and it came out pretty good.