Eggplant-Portobello Sandwich Loaf
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Grill: 20 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large eggplant (1 pound), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 package (6 ounces) sliced portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 4 ounces smoked fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Cut bread lengthwise in half. Carefully hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 1/2-in. shell; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the oil, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Brush over eggplant and mushrooms.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until vegetables are tender.
- Spread half of the marinara sauce over bottom of bread. Top with eggplant and mushrooms. Spread with remaining sauce; top with basil and cheese. Replace bread top.
- Wrap loaf in a large piece of heavy-duty foil (about 28 in. x 18 in.); seal tightly. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side.
Nutrition Facts2 slices: 632 calories, 36g fat (8g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 949mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 7g fiber), 16g protein.
Feb 9, 2010
Excellent, love this sandwich! Smoked mozzarella is not necessary, but makes a big difference!
Jan 12, 2009
Great! My husband thought it was a very tasty and much healthier alternative to a typical eggplant parm sub. I cooked the eggplant and mushrooms on the indoor grill and placed the whole wrapped sandwich in the oven to heat through.