Baked, crumb-coated slices of eggplant provide the “crust” for my unusual but yummy pizzas. Smother them with mozzarella cheese, veggies, sausage or any other toppings you like.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2-1/2 cups Italian-style panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Olive oil-flavored cooking spray
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups garden-style spaghetti or marinara sauce
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Place the flour, eggs and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip eggplant in flour, eggs and then coat in crumbs. Place on greased baking sheets; coat tops with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until tender and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain and transfer to a bowl; keep warm. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and zucchini in oil until tender. Return sausage to the skillet; stir to combine.
- Spread spaghetti sauce on eggplant rounds. Top with sausage mixture, spinach and cheese. Bake 4-6 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Originally published as Eggplant Pizza in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.