Eggplant Pepper Relish
This colorful combination of broiled peppers and eggplant is nicely seasoned with garlic and oregano. Serve it warm or cold, as a side dish, sandwich topper or on toasted bread rounds as an appetizer. —Jeanne Vitale of Leola, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Broil: 10 min. + standing
- 3 medium sweet red peppers, cut in half lengthwise
- 3 medium sweet yellow peppers, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 medium eggplant, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place peppers skin side up on an ungreased a broiler pan. Broil for 10-15 minutes or until tender and skin is blistered. Place in a large bowl; cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin.
- Meanwhile, broil eggplant skin side up for 5-7 minutes or until tender and skin is blistered. Place in a small bowl, cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin. Cut peppers into strips and eggplant into cubes.
- In a large bowl, combine the oil and garlic. Add peppers, eggplant, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Serve at room temperature.