Eggplant-Mushroom Pasta Toss Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 4-1/2 cups cubed peeled eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 packages (3-1/2 ounces each) sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup sliced ripe olives
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook eggplant in oil over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Stir in the tomatoes, water, tomato paste, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in olives; heat through.
- 3. Drain pasta; toss with eggplant mixture. Sprinkle with feta cheese and parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/4 cups: 231 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 659mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Eggplant-Mushroom Pasta Toss
"An awesome way to celebrate eggplant."
"I have made this with and without the pasta. It is flexible enough I made it without the feta. Be sure and don't overcook the eggplant or the dish will be too mushy."