Eggplant-Mushroom Pasta Toss
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 4-1/2 cups cubed peeled eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 packages (3-1/2 ounces each) sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup sliced ripe olives
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook eggplant in oil over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, water, tomato paste, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in olives; heat through.
- Drain pasta; toss with eggplant mixture. Sprinkle with feta cheese and parsley.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 231 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 659mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sep 3, 2014
An awesome way to celebrate eggplant.
Aug 6, 2013
I have made this with and without the pasta. It is flexible enough I made it without the feta. Be sure and don't overcook the eggplant or the dish will be too mushy.