I often rely on this recipe when hosting a casual holiday party. It's a marvelous meatless sandwich that makes each gathering special.—Elizabeth Dumont, Boulder, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Broil: 5 min.
- 1 jar (8 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 1 cup pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1 cup pitted ripe olives
- 1 cup giardiniera
- 3/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup packed fresh parsley sprigs
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into nine slices
- 3 loaves (10 ounces each) focaccia bread
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 9 slices provolone cheese
- 9 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a food processor, combine the red peppers, olives, giardiniera, 1/4 cup oil, parsley, vinegar, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and process until blended; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter and 1/4 cup oil. Remove and keep warm.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour and remaining salt and pepper. Add eggplant, a few slices at a time, and shake to coat. In the same skillet, cook eggplant in remaining oil for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Split each loaf of focaccia in half. Spread reserved olive mixture over each focaccia bottom; top with eggplant, mushroom mixture, tomatoes and cheeses.
- Place on a baking sheet. Broil 2-3 in. from the heat for 2-4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Replace focaccia tops. Cut each loaf into six wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 372 calories, 20g fat (6g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 881mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.