- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and 1-1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extract. Combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the nutmeg and remaining sugar. Roll dough into 1-in. balls; roll in sugar mixture. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 6-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forEggnog Snickerdoodles
"I just finished baking these amazing cookies! I needed something new to add to my Christmas cookie list and this one fit right in! easy to make, delicious and unique in flavor. Next time I make these, I'm going to use colored sugar with the nutmeg to give them a more Christmassy vibe! I made up the dough and then didn't have the energy to bake, so I refrigerated the dough over night and it was perfect! My batch made 8 ? dozen regular sized cookies (1 in. balls) Thanks Taste of Home for another winner recipe!"
"This is a very nice eggnog cookie. I really enjoyed it. My family gave the cookies mixed reviews however I don't care because I wanted an eggnog cookie to enjoy and this one was perfect. I would reduce the sugar in these the next time though. With the amount in the cookie plus the amount used to roll the cookie in I found them a tad sweet. The second time I made these I also added 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 teaspoon eggnog and reduced the heat to 375 degrees for 10 minutes. This is a slightly crispy cookie on the outside with a delicious soft inside. Thank you for a great recipe."
"These cookies are delicious.I made them at Christmastime; but my family enjoys them so much that I make them all the time."
"I make these every year for Christmas!"
"Absolutely wonderful moist cookies. Turned out perfect for me. The rum and the nutmeg are the best taste combination in this recipe. The kids all want these made now over any other cookie.Thanks for sharing."
"These turned out great and made a lot for just a little effort. A great addition to our holiday cookies this year. Love the eggnog flavor!!!"
"I just baked these and found them to have no flavor."
"Tasty cookies and easy to make. However, the yield was only 4.5 dozen - not 6.5 as the recipes says. Therefore, I need to make another batch today to have enough for my cookie exchange!! I used a #50 size scoop to make the balls, which ended up with a cookie that is 2.75" in diameter - a nice, but not over sized cookie. I usually expect it to not make as many as it says it will, but don't expect it to be off by 2 dozen!!"