These individual pastry desserts featuring the flavor of eggnog are Christmasy and yummy. Plus, I can start preparing them ahead of time and do the assembly just before serving.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons spiced rum
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Confectioners' sugar and ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small heavy saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch, salt and nutmeg. Whisk in milk and rum. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 1 minute. Immediately transfer to a clean bowl; stir in butter and vanilla. Cool slightly. Press plastic wrap onto surface of filling; refrigerate 1 hour or until cold.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold puff pastry; roll into a 12x10-in. rectangle. Cut into fifteen 4x2-in. rectangles. Place 1-in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks; cool 10 minutes. Split each pastry into two layers, making 30 layers total; cool completely.
- Reserve 10 of the top pastry layers. Spread 1 rounded tablespoon filling onto each of 10 bottom pastry layers. Top each with a second pastry layer and another rounded tablespoon filling. Top with reserved pastry layers. Refrigerate until serving. To serve, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and nutmeg.
Originally published as Eggnog Napoleons in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.