Eggnog Gelatin Mold
What's more classic than a jello mold recipe? Nothing! This particular recipe is my family's all-time favorite Christmas salad. One taste of the creamy eggnog-flavored gelatin with its tart and crunchy cran-apple sauce will have you convinced, too! —Irene Johnson, Alexandria, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 10 min. + chilling
Makes8-10 servings (2 cups sauce)
- 3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 4 cups eggnog, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- CRAN-APPLE COMPOTE:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup chopped peeled apple
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Stir 1 cup eggnog, sugar and nutmeg into gelatin mixture. Cook over medium-low heat until gelatin and sugar are dissolved, stirring occasionally. Add remaining eggnog.
- Refrigerate until slightly thickened, about 1 hour. Fold in cream. Transfer to a 7-cup mold coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until firm.
- Meanwhile, for compote, in a saucepan, combine the sugar and water. Bring to a boil and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add the cranberries and boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Stir into cranberry mixture until gelatin is dissolved.
- Remove from the heat; stir in apple and walnuts. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve with the eggnog gelatin.