"This is my family's all-time favorite Christmas salad," writes Irene Johnson of Alexandria, Minnesota. One taste of the creamy eggnog-flavored gelatin with its tart and crunchy cran-apple sauce will have you convinced, too!
Recommended: Who Knew You Could Do That with Jello?
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 4 cups eggnog, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- CRAN-APPLE COMPOTE:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup chopped peeled apple
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Stir 1 cup eggnog, sugar and nutmeg into gelatin mixture. Cook over medium-low heat until gelatin and sugar are dissolved, stirring occasionally. Add remaining eggnog.
- Refrigerate until slightly thickened, about 1 hour. Fold in cream. Transfer to a 7-cup mold coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until firm.
- Meanwhile, for compote, in a saucepan, combine the sugar and water. Bring to a boil and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add the cranberries and boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Stir into cranberry mixture until gelatin is dissolved.
- Remove from the heat; stir in apple and walnuts. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve with the eggnog gelatin. Yield: 8-10 servings (2 cups sauce).
Originally published as Eggnog Gelatin Mold in Country Woman November/December 2003, p40