I put together a cookbook of my grandma's Christmas recipes that includes this classic eggnog appetizer. Serve it as a dip with fresh fruit or drizzle it over cake for dessert.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min. + cooling
Makesabout 2-1/2 cups
- 1-1/2 cups eggnog
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract, optional
- Assorted fruit and pound cake cubes
- In a small saucepan, combine the eggnog and cornstarch until smooth. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream. Cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat whipping cream and sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold into eggnog mixture with extract if desired. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve with fruit and cake cubes.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with commercially prepared eggnog.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 64 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 16mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Eggnog Dip in Country Woman Christmas 1998