- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup eggnog
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Colored sugar
- Vanilla frosting, optional
- 1. Cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggnog, baking soda and nutmeg. Gradually add flour and mix well. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Using floured 3-1/2-in. cookie cutters, cut into desired shapes; place on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough. Brush with egg white; sprinkle with colored sugar.
- 3. Bake at 350° until edges are lightly browned, 6-8 minutes. Cool on wire racks. If desired, decorate with frosting.
1 cookie: 71 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 35mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 30, 2018To all you people who can’t bake or pick good egg nog, that is your fault not the recipes. I have made this many times with excellent results and I would have made many more if I had a kitchen of my own with more then 4 feet of space. I suggest you people learn how to bake first and pick out good ingredients cuz mine always turns out excellent. I also do believe I always add cinnamon
Jan 9, 2018
I gave these a try and at first I didn't really like them at all. I threw out the ones with just colored sugar but kept the ones we frosted because I thought they were at least edible. I thought there was too much nutmeg. However - and I don't know if it's because the cookies "sat" for awhile or it's something in the frosting, but they are tasting much much better! I honestly don't know if I will make them again. We'll see!
Dec 10, 2017
This is a 5 star hit with my family. I love the flavor. The dough rolled out great. I will be adding this to my Christmas cookie list every year.
Dec 31, 1969
Cookie was much too sweet, with and without sprinkles or colored sugar. I suggest using less sugar, brush only with egg white and add one cinnamon heart at the center of the cookie to add color. Add the cinnamon heart after 5 minutes, otherwise it will melt.
Dec 24, 2012
Will add just a little more eggnog.
Jan 1, 2012
I loved this was really easy. Half way through we had to put the rest of the dough back in the fridge it was getting to warm. I used half the nutmeg then added 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon. They came out prefect
Dec 24, 2010
Amazing cookies. My friends don't even like eggnog, but they admitted that they do love these cookies. A great change from the usual sugar cookies.
Dec 20, 2010
I thought the nutmeg was overpowering. Couldn't taste the eggnog at all. Should be renamed "nutmeg cookies". Disappointed. Won't make again.
Dec 7, 2010
My husband's new favorite cookie. YUM!
Dec 1, 2010
I make these every year. very yummy and very easy to make