Eggnog Cookies with Buttercream Frosting
My family loves eggnog, so every year I make these easy and tasty cookies to make the holidays extra festive. Christmas wouldn't be the same without them!—Nancy Heishman, Las Vegas, Nevada
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
- 1-1/3 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons eggnog
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 to 2 tablespoons eggnog
- Additional ground nutmeg
- Halved candied cherries, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter, brown sugar and nutmeg until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, eggnog and extract. Gradually beat in flour. Refrigerate, covered, 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Shape dough into 1-1/2-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Flatten to 1/2-in. thickness with bottom of a glass.
- Bake 14-16 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a bowl, beat confectioners’ sugar, butter, extract, nutmeg and enough eggnog to reach spreading consistency. Spread over cookies. Sprinkle tops with additional nutmeg. If desired, top with cherries. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with commercially prepared eggnog.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 192 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 78mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Egg Nog Rum Cookies in Cookies & Candies 2014 Bookazine