Eggnog Cake Recipe
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- EGGNOG FILLING:
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups eggnog
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 to 3 tablespoon hot water
- 1. Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, cream butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add yolks, one at a time, beating well after each. Combine orange juice, peel and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with juice mixture, beating well after each addition.
- 2. In another bowl, with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter.
- 3. Line two greased 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper; grease paper. Pour batter into pans. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks. Peel off paper; cool.
- 4. For filling, in a small saucepan, combine flour and a small amount of eggnog; stir until smooth. Stir in remaining eggnog; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool completely.
- 5. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in vanilla and nutmeg. Gradually beat in eggnog mixture until smooth; set aside.
- 6. For frosting, in another small bowl, cream confectioners' sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the cream, chocolate, cinnamon and nutmeg until smooth. Add water until frosting reaches spreading consistency.
- 7. Split cakes in half; spread filling on three layers. Top with remaining layer; frost top. Yield: 14 servings.
1 piece: 472 calories, 28g fat (17g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 368mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Eggnog Cake
"This cake is light and fresh, with a hint of nutmeg and orange, and it's just yum. I added sweetened whipped cream and orange zest to the filling. The eggnog mixture for the filling was too thick, so I added a bit more eggnog while it was cooking, but you could cut down on the flour instead. This cake is worth every bowl it takes to make it."
"When you cook the brown sugar for 25 mins then cool it's like hard candy. I had to re-heat to add it to the other ingredents but it was the worst filling not spreadable it was like hard carmel candy. I ended up tossing the whole cake. I hope someone else has better luck."