VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Combine the egg yolk and water; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- For a double crust, divide pastry in half so that one ball is slightly larger than the other. Roll out larger ball to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge of plate. Add filling.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Bake according to recipe directions.
- For two single crust, divide pastry in half. Roll out each portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Fill or bake shell according to recipe directions. Yield: Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches).
Originally published as Egg Yolk Pastry in Complete Guide to Baking 2004, p171