Egg-Topped Wilted Salad
Tossed with a bright champagne vinegar dressing and topped with chipotle bacon and sunny eggs, this is the ultimate brunch salad. But it's so delicious I'd gladly enjoy it any time of day! —Courtney Gaylord, Columbus, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 8 bacon strips
- 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups spring mix salad greens (about 5 ounces)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place bacon on one half of a foil-lined 15x10x1-in. pan. Mix brown sugar and chipotle pepper; sprinkle evenly over bacon. Bake until bacon begins to shrink, about 10 minutes.
- Using tongs, move bacon to other half of pan. Add onion to bacon drippings, stirring to coat. Return to oven; bake until bacon is crisp, about 15 minutes. Drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, sugar, pepper and reserved drippings. Coarsely chop bacon.
- Place a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Break eggs, one at a time, into pan. Reduce heat to low; cook eggs until desired doneness, turning after whites are set if desired. Sprinkle with salt.
- Toss greens with dressing; divide among four dishes. Top with bacon, onion, cheese and eggs. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 279 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 216mg cholesterol, 730mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Wilted "Brinner" Salad in Simple & Delicious June/July 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.