Egg-Topped Sausage Herb Pizza
My family loves homemade pizza and I love to watch cooking shows. I was watching a show and they visited a pizza place that had fried eggs on top of pizza. After seeing that show I was on a quest for the perfect egg topped pizza. I took my herbed pizza dough that I use all of the time and topped it with sausage, different types of cheese and of course eggs. This recipe is the one that my family likes the best. If you do not want to break the eggs and have the yolk run out you can always rip off pieces of the crust and dip as you go!—Kristen Caperila, Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons quick-rise yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/4 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 hot Italian sausage links (4 ounces each), casings removed
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh arugula or baby spinach
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach
- In a small bowl, mix sugar, yeast, salt and 3/4 cup flour. In a small saucepan, heat water and oil to 120°-130°; stir into dry ingredients. Stir in Italian seasoning and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Grease a 12-in. pizza pan; sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 4-5 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Roll dough to fit pan. Pinch edge to form a rim. Spread with pizza sauce; top with sausage and mozzarella cheese. Bake 8-10 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
- Using the back of a tablespoon, make four indentations in pizza at least 2 in. from edge. Carefully break an egg into each indentation; sprinkle with pepper and Parmesan and Romano cheeses.
- Bake 8-10 minutes longer or until egg whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. Just before serving, top with arugula and spinach.
Originally published as Egg Topped Sausage Herb Pizza in tasteofhome.com