Egg & Sausage Roll-Ups
These savory rolls are always a great choice. They’re nice enough to serve company and make an excellent on-the-go breakfast, too.
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 8 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 15 sheets phyllo dough (14x9 in.)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, sweet onion, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon pepper over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Remove and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and remaining pepper. In same skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Pour in egg mixture; cook and stir until almost set. Stir in cheese, green onions and sausage mixture. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; brush with melted butter. Layer with four additional phyllo sheets, brushing with butter after each layer. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Repeat, making three stacks.
- Cut each stack in half lengthwise and in half crosswise, forming four 7x4-1/2-in. rectangles. Spoon 1/4 cup egg mixture along a long side of each rectangle; roll up.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet, seam side down. With a sharp knife, make four shallow slashes across each roll; brush with butter. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 251 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 178mg cholesterol, 399mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Country Sausage and Scrambled Egg Rolls (corrected entry) in Country Woman Christmas 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.