Egg-Free Chocolate Caramel Cake
Chocolaty cake only gets better when topped with caramel frosting. Kids and adults alike will devour this and never miss the eggs. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 to 6 tablespoons fat-free milk
- In a large bowl, beat the first six ingredients until well blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
- Pour into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, caramel topping, butter, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a spreading consistency. Frost cake. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 259 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 277mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Cake with Caramel Frosting in Healthy Cooking August/September 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.