- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger or 2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry or apple juice
- EGG FOO YONG:
- 1-1/2 cups egg substitute
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 cups canned bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- In a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch, sugar and ginger. Stir in broth until smooth. Add soy sauce and sherry or apple juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine egg substitute and onions; let stand for 10 minutes. Add bean sprouts, water chestnuts, mushrooms, salt and Chinese five spice; mix well. In a nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into oil. Cook until golden brown, about 2 to 2-1/2 minutes on each side. serve with sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forEgg Foo Yong with Sauce
"This is great. Better than you can get out at a restaurant. Thank you for sharing this recipe"