Egg & Asparagus Breakfast Croquettes
Trying to come up with something new for breakfast on the run, I thought this was an interesting way to combine the whole meal. If you want to get fancy, these are great with Hollandaise on top and sprinkled with paprika.—Barb Miller, Oakdale, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Cook: 5 min./batch
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 6 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh asparagus
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-3/4 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned. Gradually whisk in milk; cook and stir until thickened (mixture will be thick). Stir in next seven ingredients. Refrigerate 2 hours.
- Shape 1/4 cupfuls of egg mixture into twelve 3-in. long ovals. Place bread crumbs and eggs in separate shallow bowls. Roll logs in crumbs to coat, then dip in egg and roll again in crumbs, patting to help coating adhere. In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry in batches until golden brown, about 3 minutes, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels.
Originally published as Unbeatable Egg and Asparagus Croquette in Breakfast & Brunch 2016 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.