Egg and Sausage Strata
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 12 slices white bread, crusts removed, cubed
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk pork sausage
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jar (2 ounces) chopped pimientos, drained
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Line a greased 13x9-in. baking dish with bread cubes; set aside.
- In a skillet, cook sausage with the onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in pimientos; sprinkle over bread.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, pepper and oregano. Pour over sausage mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 209 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 430mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 29, 2017
The flavorful layers are easy to make and it turned out perfect!!
Jun 29, 2017
Loved the recipe!! It's so easy to prepare!!
Dec 19, 2011
I am so glad I found this. I had the original recipe clipped from the magazine years and years ago. I couldn't find it and decided to look here and you guys still have it.This is very good, easy to make. I like the do ahead foods so I just have to pop them in the oven Christmas morning. Thanks Taste of Home for your archived recipes.
Apr 13, 2008
omit peppers, pimiento, worchester sauce. Substitute 8 slices bread, crusts removed, 8 eggs, 1 1/2 cups milk, 1can cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 soup can milk. 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese. Layer meat mixture and cheese over bread slices several times until all used. Combine eggs, 1 1/2 c milk, mustard, salt & pepper; pour over layers in baking dish. Refrigerate over night.Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Combine soup, 1/2 can milk; pour over layers.Bake 1 1/2 hours. Serves 6-8