Egg- and Lactose-Free Chocolate Cupcakes
These super-chocolaty, moist cupcakes don't have eggs or lactose, but they don't lack a bit of flavor. A yummy treat that travels well and appeals to all ages, this is one recipe you'll keep handy year-round. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup lactose-free margarine, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat the water, sugar, applesauce, oil and vanilla until well blended. In a small bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
- Fill foiled-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat margarine until fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, cocoa, water and vanilla; beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 275 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 234mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Kingma's Favorite Chocolate Cupcakes in Healthy Cooking June/July 2010