Egg- and Lactose-Free Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup lactose-free margarine, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the water, sugar, applesauce, oil and vanilla until well blended. In a small bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
- 2. Fill foiled-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat margarine until fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, cocoa, water and vanilla; beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 275 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 234mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Egg- and Lactose-Free Chocolate Cupcakes
"These were moist, flavorful and rose well, even without the eggs. I decreased the sugar to about 1 cup, and left out the cocoa for a vanilla cupcake."