VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 8 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 15 sheets phyllo dough (14x9 in.)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, sweet onion, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon pepper over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Remove and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and remaining pepper. In same skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Pour in egg mixture; cook and stir until almost set. Stir in cheese, green onions and sausage mixture. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; brush with melted butter. Layer with four additional phyllo sheets, brushing with butter after each layer. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Repeat, making three stacks.
- Cut each stack in half lengthwise and in half crosswise, forming four 7x4-1/2-in. rectangles. Spoon 1/4 cup egg mixture along a long side of each rectangle; roll up.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet, seam side down. With a sharp knife, make four shallow slashes across each roll; brush with butter. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Country Sausage & Egg Rolls in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2012, p27