- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 64 pretzel sticks, halved
- 4-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 32 red M&M's minis
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions, using a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Crumble cake into a large bowl to measure 7 cups.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, cocoa and vanilla until creamy. Beat in confectioners’ sugar alternately with milk until smooth. Add cake crumbs; mix well. Shape into sixteen 1-1/2-in. balls and sixteen 3/4-in. balls.
- To assemble spiders, insert a wooden or metal skewer through one small cake ball and then halfway through one large cake ball; repeat with remaining balls. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets; insert eight pretzel halves into each large ball to form legs. Freeze 2 hours or until firm.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip each spider in chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets.
- Remove skewers and attach M&M's for eyes. Refrigerate until set. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forEdible Arachnids
"Thought these were cute so made them for my Grandsons . Very easy to make . Good recipe for kids to help with ."