Eat ’em Up Pasta Shells
Kids will have no trouble gobbling up these silly monster pasta shells.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 21 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 carton (15 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 jar (12 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- Sliced olives
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook the sausage, mushrooms, red pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in 1 cup spaghetti sauce. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Drain pasta and rinse in cold water. Spread remaining spaghetti sauce into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the cheeses, egg, basil and garlic powder. Spoon heaping tablespoonfuls into shells. Arrange shells in dish. Spoon sausage mixture into shells.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly. Cut roasted peppers to resemble tongues. Add a tongue to each shell and olives for eyes.
Originally published as Eat 'Em Up Pasta Shells in Ultimate Halloween Bookazine 2014