Eat ’em Up Pasta Shells
Kids will have no trouble gobbling up these silly monster pasta shells.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 21 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 carton (15 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 jar (12 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- Sliced olives
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook the sausage, mushrooms, red pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in 1 cup spaghetti sauce. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Drain pasta and rinse in cold water. Spread remaining spaghetti sauce into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the cheeses, egg, basil and garlic powder. Spoon heaping tablespoonfuls into shells. Arrange shells in dish. Spoon sausage mixture into shells.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly. Cut roasted peppers to resemble tongues. Add a tongue to each shell and olives for eyes.
Originally published as Eat 'Em Up Pasta Shells in Ultimate Halloween Bookazine 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.