My whole family really enjoys Mexican food. When I'm in a hurry, I make this zippy deep-dish pie. It always satisfies their appetites. —Nancy Roberts, Cave City, Arkansas
Recommended: 36 Savory Suppertime Pies
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- Dash paprika
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine the beef, sausage, onion and garlic in a 3-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes, stirring once to crumble meat. Drain. Add the tomatoes, corn, tomato paste, olives, chili powder and salt; mix well. Cover and microwave on high for 4-6 minutes or until heated through.
- Whisk egg in a large bowl; add milk and corn bread mix. Stir just until moistened. Spoon over meat mixture; sprinkle with paprika.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the corn bread comes out clean. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Tamale Pie in Quick Cooking March/April 1998, p47
Reviews forEasy Tamale Pie
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 9, 2010
"I add one small can of drained chopped green chilies. This recipe is a yummy standby for my family's dinner."