The already prepared meatballs make this a very easy and quick supper. You can use your own homemade meatballs or store-bought if you're in a pinch. —Ruth Andrewson, Leavenworth, Washington
Recommended: 37 Marvelous Meatball Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen fully cooked homestyle meatballs, thawed
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Set pineapple aside. Add enough water to juice if needed to measure 1 cup. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the meatballs, green pepper and juice mixture until heated through.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, cold water, vinegar and soy sauce until smooth. Add brown sugar and reserved pineapple to the pan; stir in cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sweet-and-Sour Meatballs in Weeknight Cooking Made Easy Annual 2005, p8