This is the first recipe I've ever devised in its entirety. I like it a little spicy, but it can easily be modified to suit anyone's tastes.
Recommended: 40 Tex-Mex Recipes Bursting With Southwestern Flavor
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1-2/3 cups water
- In a large saucepan, combine tomato paste and broth. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Southwestern Chicken Soup in Country October/November 1993, p51