Easy Slow-Cooker Chicken Ropa Vieja
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, sliced
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 teaspoons adobo seasoning, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 to 6 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 ripe plantains, peeled and thinly sliced into thin rounds
- Hot cooked rice, lime wedges and additional fresh cilantro leaves, optional
- Place the first 7 ingredients and 1 teaspoon adobo in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Rub the remaining adobo seasoning over chicken; add to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 5-6 hours. Using 2 forks, shred chicken. Stir in lime juice to taste; heat through.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook plantains in batches until tender and golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve chicken with plantains using a slotted spoon. If desired, serve with rice, lime wedges and cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 387 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 1428mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 4g fiber), 23g protein.
Dec 10, 2018
I also couldn't find adobo seasoning, so I substituted in a mixture of salt, pepper, paprika,onion powder, and chili powder. We enjoyed it with the plantain the first night and then ate the leftovers with corn tortillas and on top of baked potatoes.
Nov 3, 2018
Loved these easy way to make a chicken stew. The timing (5 hours) resulted in an awesome texture and the stew had so much flavor but didn't feel too heavy. I thought the apple added just a touch of sweetness. I added some pickled jalapenos because we love a spicy kick.
Oct 29, 2018
This was my first time making this recipe and it turned out fantastic. The only problem was I couldn't find Adobo seasoning anywhere, but not to worry, I made one from a recipe on the Internet. I was quite pleased. I did put about twice as much chicken than the recipe called for because I have meat lovers in my household. I will be making this one again