- 5-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes, divided
- 2-3/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- Whole milk, chopped fresh parsley and coarsely ground pepper, optional
- Place 4-1/2 cups of the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat (do not drain). Mash potatoes; stir in butter.
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the ham, celery, onion, garlic powder, paprika, pepper and remaining cubed potatoes. Stir in the mashed potato; top with cheese. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until potatoes and other vegetables are tender. Stir in the sour cream until blended. If desired, thin soup with milk, and add parsley and coarsely ground pepper. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forEasy Slow-Cooked Potato Soup
"I was disappointed with this recipe. I love potato soup, but found this version to be pretty bland."
"This was a hit! I used bacon & less cheese!"
"I have been making this for YEARS.......I think I first got the recipe from Taste of Home slow cooker cookbook! I am not someone who measures stuff, I just dump in what I like......and I feed more than 6 each night! I have NEVER used Velveeta in this recipe, I always used shredded sharp cheddar. My kids and husband ask me to make this when the weather is cold.....it's a family favorite!"
"easy to make and quite delicious!"
"Good recipe and not too much prep work."
"This was a big hit at our house! I used 2% milk Velveeta, reduced-fat sour cream and some skim milk to thin it and it was excellent. I pare down most TOH & S&D recipes to make them healthier and still end up with delicious results- thanks for all the great recipes!"
"When I make soup I like it thick and hearty. This was excellent. I added some crumbled cooked bacon. Love the velveta! The texture and flavor was perfect. A do over for sure."
"Renee, great ideas. Another alternative for whole milk is canned skim milk - it cuts the fat and leaves the richness."
"Can you freeze potato soup after"