- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Thaw bread dough on a greased baking sheet according to package directions; let rise until doubled. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage until no longer pink. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Add the spinach, cheeses, oregano and garlic powder; set side.
- Roll each loaf of bread into a 14-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spread sausage mixture lengthwise down the center of each rectangle. Gently press the filling down; dot with butter. Bring edges of dough to the center over filling; pinch to seal. Return to the baking sheet, placing seam side down; tuck ends under and form into a crescent shape. Brush with egg.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting. If desired, cool one loaf on a wire rack; wrap in foil and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen loaf: Thaw at room temperature for 2 hours. Unwrap and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews forEasy Sausage-Stuffed Loaf
"Thank you Suzanne for sharing this recipe! I've made this recipe since I first saw it in the Taste of Home magazine in 1999. I make it about once a month and we still love it after 5 years! I get requests for the recipe if I ever share. I only add extra garlic powder for my taste, but leave everything else as is. To reheat for a snack, I warm up in a medium heat skillet until warm."
"This was yummy and different. A couple of thoughts: 1) Don't add extra spinach. 2) This would be good with some kind of dip."
"I have made this recipe so many times since it first appeared in the magazine in 1999! It is a favorite when I take it Christmas gatherings."
"Re: Sausage-stuffed LoafLeft out the spinach, was delicious. No need to add anything.jll5030"
"I would take out the spinach, could add pizza sauce"