- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup crushed saltines
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 jar (12 ounces) beef gravy
- 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons water
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- In a bowl, combine the beef, egg white, onion, crumbs, milk, horseradish, salt if desired, and pepper. Shape into four oval patties. Fry in a skillet over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until cooked through, turning once. Remove patties and keep warm. Add gravy, mushrooms and water to skillet; heat for 3-5 minutes. Serve over patties and noodles if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forEasy Salisbury Steak
"I made this tonight and it is a definite 5-star recipe. I followed the instructions but only used 1 teaspoon horseradish. I felt a tablespoon would be too much. It was delicious. Just FYI, 5 saltine crackers equals 1/4 cup. I served it with mashed potatoes and we both cleaned our plates. I highly recommend this recipe.Volunteer Field Editor"
"This was good. Will make again. I served with spaghetti squash instead of noodles."
"Super simple and good. I did make a change with the gravy. I used dried onion soup packets and it made such a rich, flavorful gravy that I will stick with that method. Thanks for sharing this recipe, Carol."
"This is a family favorite! I double the recipe and make extra gravy for mashed potatoes, I use the instant gravy packets."
"Used bread crumbs (bc I am "lazy"). Made my own gravy (did use worchestershire per someone else's suggestion). Was out of horseradish (go figure), SO am looking forward to trying again. otherwise, delicious!"
"I've been making this recipe for 15 years or more. I would give it 10 stars if possib!le. Don't omit the horseradish. Made it today, but was short on horseradish....used a bit of hr mustard. Turned out good. Will NEVER buy banquet Salisbury steaks again. easy, simple, yummy. Good over mashed potatoes or buttered noodles."
"I have been looking for this recipe for years. I first saw it in Taste of Home, but my issue got lost in a move. This is the best salisbury steak recipe I have tasted. The horseradish makes the differenct. With fall around the corner, this dish is perfect as comfort food. I serve it with mashed potatoes, peas and a salad."