Easy Poached Salmon
In 46 years of marriage, we had never tasted salmon until a friend told me about poaching it in a low cooker. I tried it and got flaky, moist results with little fuss. I added some soy sauce for extra flavor. — Johnna Johnson, Scottsdale, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 6 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 8 whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 salmon fillet (3 pounds)
- Lemon slices and fresh dill
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 8 ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Strain; discarding vegetables and spices.
- Cut three 20x3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on bottom and up sides of a 7-qt. oval slow cooker. Pour poaching liquid into slow cooker. Carefully add salmon.
- Cook, covered, on high 60-70 minutes or just until fish flakes easily with a fork (a thermometer inserted in fish should read at least 145°). Using foil strips as handles, remove salmon from cooking liquid. Serve warm or cold with lemon and dill.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked salmon: 266 calories, 16g fat (3g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 97mg sodium, 0 carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat.
Originally published as Easy Poached Salmon in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2019