Easy Oven Stew
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 3/4 pound beef top sirloin steak, trimmed and cubed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 medium unpeeled potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks
- 1 celery rib, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chunky stewed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a Dutch oven, brown steak in oil. Add the next eight ingredients. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until a thermometer reads 160°, stirring twice.
- Stir in peas; cover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 0g saturated fat (0 sugars, 0 fiber).
Mar 29, 2016
This recipe has been a family favorite since it was first published in TOH in December 1994! The original directions say to bake at 300F for 4-5 hours, stirring twice. Haven't tried the shorter version. Hopefully it will be just as delicious & tender!
Jun 6, 2009
This stew is so easy, and a favorite! I use Mexican stewed tomatoes, we like the spice!