- 3/4 pound boneless beef round steak, trimmed and cubed
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 4 medium unpeeled potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks
- 1 celery rib, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chunky stewed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a Dutch oven, brown the steak in the oil. Add the next eight ingredients; cover and bake at 300° for 4-5 hours, stirring twice. Add the peas during the last 30 minutes of baking. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forEasy Oven Stew
"This recipe has been a family favorite since it was first published in TOH in December 1994! The original directions say to bake at 300F for 4-5 hours, stirring twice. Haven't tried the shorter version. Hopefully it will be just as delicious & tender!"
"This stew is so easy, and a favorite! I use Mexican stewed tomatoes, we like the spice!"