I got this recipe from a friends many years ago, and it quickly became my children's favorite. Now, my grandchildren enjoy it. It works especially nice for making cupcakes for school lunches. Besides cooking, I enjoy sewing and writing poetry.
Recommended: Our Best-Ever Chocolate Cakes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Frosting or confectioners' sugar
- Place all ingredients in order listed in a large mixing bowl; beat well. Pour into a greased and floured 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool on a wire rack. Frost as desired or dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as One-Bowl Chocolate Cake in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate 1994, p45