Easy Make Ahead Scrambled Eggs
When my four sons, one daughter and their families come to visit this egg dish is devoured in a hurry...even if I double it! The Swiss cheese is a nice change from the usual cheddar cheese.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min.
- 2 cups soft bread cubes (crusts removed)
- 1-3/4 cups whole milk
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large bowl, combine bread cubes and milk; let stand 5 minutes. Drain, reserving excess milk. Place bread in a greased 8-in. square baking dish; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, salt, pepper and reserved milk. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add egg mixture; cook and stir until set. Spoon over bread cubes. Top with cheese.
- Melt remaining butter; add bread crumbs. Sprinkle over cheese. Top with bacon. Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 311 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 260mg cholesterol, 576mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Make-Ahead Scrambled Eggs in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook