When my four sons, one daughter and their families come to visit this egg dish is devoured in a hurry...even if I double it! The Swiss cheese is a nice change from the usual cheddar cheese.
Recommended: 37 Easy Breakfast Ideas with 5 Ingredients or Less
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups soft bread cubes (crusts removed)
- 1-3/4 cups milk
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Combine bread cubes and milk; let stand 5 minutes. Drain, reserving the excess milk. Place bread in a greased 8-in. square baking dish; set aside. Combine eggs and reserved milk; add salt and pepper. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet; add egg mixture and cook just until eggs are set. Spoon over bread cubes. Top with Swiss cheese. Melt remaining butter; add bread crumbs.Sprinkle over cheese. Top with bacon. Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Make-Ahead Scrambled Eggs in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p11
Reviews forEasy Make Ahead Scrambled Eggs
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 23, 2009
"Bet this is great with crumbled, browned sausage too!"