When my four sons, one daughter and their families come to visit this egg dish is devoured in a hurry...even if I double it! The Swiss cheese is a nice change from the usual cheddar cheese.
Recommended: 37 Easy Breakfast Ideas with 5 Ingredients or Less
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups soft bread cubes (crusts removed)
- 1-3/4 cups whole milk
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large bowl, combine bread cubes and milk; let stand 5 minutes. Drain, reserving excess milk. Place bread in a greased 8-in. square baking dish; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, salt, pepper and reserved milk. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add egg mixture; cook and stir until set. Spoon over bread cubes. Top with cheese.
- Melt remaining butter; add bread crumbs. Sprinkle over cheese. Top with bacon. Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Make-Ahead Scrambled Eggs in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p11
Reviews forEasy Make Ahead Scrambled Eggs
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 23, 2009
"Bet this is great with crumbled, browned sausage too!"