Easy Lasagna in a Bun
“This tasty recipe is always a hit because it’s a little different,” says Margaret Peterson of Forest City, Iowa.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 hoagie buns
- 3/4 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, soup mix, basil and oregano. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each bun. Carefully hollow out bun bottoms, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- In a small bowl, combine the cottage cheese, egg and 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese; spoon into buns. Top with meat mixture; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Replace bun tops.
- Wrap each sandwich in heavy-duty foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 351 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 753mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat.
Originally published as Lasagna in a Bun in Simple & Delicious March/April 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.