- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta or acini di pepe pasta
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, parsley, 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 42 meatballs. Place in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until juices run clear; drain.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. In a large saucepan or soup kettle, saute the onion, celery and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the broth, beans and spinach. Stir in pasta, meatballs and remaining salt and pepper. Cook until spinach is tender and meatballs are heated through. Garnish with remaining Parmesan cheese. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews forEasy Italian Wedding Soup
"This soup is delious. Good on chilly days."
"This has become one of my winter stand-bys. It is so good! I generally use Italian sausage (elk) in place of the regular hamburger and omit the salt from the meatballs. My husband seriously gets giddy the second he sees me rolling out the meatballs. It's delicious!"