Easy Italian Bread Salad
For a fresh-tasting side dish, Kathleen serves Italian Bread Salad. "This pretty blend is a snap to prepare. "For variety add whatever veggies you like, such as green or yellow peppers, zucchini, summer squash or sliced olives," she suggests.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 slices Italian or French bread (1 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 2 to 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Lettuce leaves
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Brush both sides of bread with 1 tablespoon oil. Place on a baking sheet. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Cut into 1-in. cubes.
- In a large bowl, toss the bread cubes, tomatoes, cucumber, onions and cheese. Divide among four lettuce-lined salad plates. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, garlic, basil and remaining oil. Drizzle over salads. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 176 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.