- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 4 large carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, broth and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add celery, carrots, barley, thyme and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables and barley are tender.
- Remove from heat; stir in parsley. Let stand 5 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forEasy Hamburger Soup
"My husband said this I probably the second best soup I've ever had! I just tossed in a couple of shakes of extra spices, seemed a little bland. Also added a few shakes to Worcestershire sauece."
"Very yummy and easy to make. Really enjoyed this recipe."
"i would cook it in a slowcooker."
"I've been making this for the past 4 years and it never fails to please me! I make exactly as the recipe reads except I use regular barley and add it when the vegetables are simmering for 45 minutes. I also use my tea infuser ball to hold the peppercorns instead of cheesecloth."
"this is a great soup, I added some green peppers from our garden and it was great.Im sharing this with my kids(4)thanks dimplesahli"
"This recipe is super. I used buffalo ground meat, which has no fat. I also cooked the celery with the meat and added two cloves of garlic with the onion. Great. Thanks."