Easy Gingerbread Cutouts
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 package spice cake mix (regular size)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 cup canned cream cheese frosting, slightly warmed
- Red Hots
- In a bowl, combine the cake mix, flour, eggs, oil, molasses and ginger until well blended. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with lightly floured 5-in. cookie cutters. Place 3 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 7-10 minutes or until edges are firm and bottom is lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Decorate with cream cheese frosting and Red Hots as desired.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 302 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 302mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 22, 2014
The taste is great but the dough is sooooo sticky it isn't even workable after adding a bunch of flour.
Jan 12, 2014
I made this recipe with my 4 year old son who likes to help me cook. It was easy to make. He had a blast rolling out the dough and cutting out the figures. What I didn't expect was how good the cookies tasted. They were soft and chewy. This has become one of my favorite recipes that I'll definitely go back to.
Jan 16, 2013
This is the best gingerbread cookie recipe ever!!! I made them over and over during the holidays. Everyone loved them!
Jan 23, 2011
I have made 12 doz already this week! We modified it for the non-holiday season. I use a 1" cookie scoop and then flatten the cookies slightly with the bottom of a drinking glass. Bake for 5 minutes in a convection oven or until cookies start to "crack." We then use one dollop of milk chocolate frosting on top! Our local bakery is famous for their gingerbread boys with chocolate frosting. My sons say these taste even better!
Jan 8, 2011
So easy, seriously it can’t get any easier than this. Great flavor also.
Dec 2, 2010
These came out great! I have to bake them on a airbake sheet otherwise they burn. They were easy to make and yummy!
Dec 20, 2009
Fuss free recipe! Made several thicknesses and enjoyed the thicker ones which were softer and chewier. FAST and easy preparation!
Nov 18, 2009
These were nice, you definitely get more of a spicy cookie than a gingerbread taste. They are easy and quick to roll out, a good time saver cookie.