- 1-1/3 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) German chocolate cake mix
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Sprinkle the coconut and pecans into a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add egg and sugar; beat until smooth. Drop by tablespoonfuls over the batter. Carefully spread to within 1 in. of edges. Bake at 325° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; invert onto a serving plate. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forEasy German Chocolate Cake
"I made this cake the other day for a German Shepherds 1 year bday party. No, the dogs didn't eat it. ;). It wasn't pretty but tasted ok. I thought that the butter/cream cheese mixture would somehow move to the bottom of the pan while baking. You know, to be with the pecans & coconut? Instead, as the cake baked and rounded across the top, the butter mixture dripped off and over the edge into the bottom of my oven. Not Good!When I realized that was happening I used a spatula to gouge long holes in the top of the cake so that the butter mixture would "sink in". The cake probably would have been even better if all of that mixture has blended in and down with the cake. What did I do wrong?"
"Used to make this w/ the residents at the nursing home. Only difference in the recipes was mine used 1 cup of coconut and only 2 cups powdered sugar. It was incredible!"