Easy Fruitcake Bars
There's a sweet surprise in every bite of this fruitcake-like treat. The bars keep well in the freezer, so they can be enjoyed long after the holiday season's over.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients; set aside. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, vanilla and orange zest until blended. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to sugar mixture until well combined. Stir in walnuts and the reserved fruit mixture.
- Spread into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Editor's Note: Baked bars may be frozen in an air-tight container for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 88 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 35mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Fruitcake Bars in Country Woman Christmas 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.