There's a sweet surprise in every bite of this fruitcake-like treat. The bars keep well in the freezer, so they can be enjoyed long after the holiday season's over.
Recommended: 40 Festive Cakes to Serve This Christmas
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, combine the first four ingredients; set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs. Add the sugar, vanilla and orange peel; mix well. Combine flour and salt; add to sugar mixture. Stir in walnuts and the reserved fruit mixture. Spread into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Fruitcake Bars in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2000, p47