- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 to 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 12 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces each) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion, green pepper and jalapeno in oil until onion in tender. Stir in chicken. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- For sauce, melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth. Add broth, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream. Add 1 cup on the sauce to chicken mixture. Spoon 1/2 cup chicken mixture on each tortilla; roll up and place seam side down in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes or until sauce is bubble. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forEasy Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
"Love it. I was looking for a very good recipe without a cream of chicken and I have found it! This is very tasty. I used very little jalapeno pepper. I used Colby Monterey Jack cheese. And I used Organic Better That Bouillon to make my own broth it is more healthy and not that expensive (for example 6.49 $ for 8 oz in Safeway but it lasts long time), you can use your own water from meats and mix the Bouillon in it that will make your recipe more tasty."